Financial support to help with childcare
Care to learn - childcare support for young people aged 16-20
If you are aged under 20 at the beginning of your course, or moving to the 2nd year of a level 3 course, and are caring for your own child you may be entitled to £175.00 maximum per week, per child through Care to Learn.
Please ensure you register on the Care to Learn website even if you haven’t chosen your childcare provider or the course you want to study. Once you have registered Care to Learn will confirm financial support in principle.
For further details and help with making an application please visit https://www.gov.uk/care-to-learn or speak to a Student Advisor.
Childcare support for people aged 20+
Financial support towards the cost of nursery, childminder, breakfast clubs and after-school clubs.
If you are aged 20+ when you start a course and need financial support to help with the cost of childcare while you study the college may be able to help.
You will be required to make use of any government NEF or 2+ Funding before requesting any financial support from the college.
It is essential that you speak to a Student Advisor prior to enrolling on a course to discuss your personal circumstances, childcare needs and to find out if there are funds available.
Eligibility for help with childcare costs is based on your personal circumstances.
General eligibility criteria:
- Aged 20 and over
- Considered a home student for fee purposes
- Fully enrolled on a programme of study funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency or in receipt of a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan
- Discussed and had confirmation of funding for childcare support before enrolling
You need to have evidence that you meet general discretionary Learner Support Funds or 19+ Advanced Learning Loan bursary fund criteria:
- on a low income / a dependent of someone who is on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit e.g. Income Support / Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, housing benefit etc.
When looking for childcare please be aware:
- all childcare providers must be OFSTED registered
- any 2+ or 3+ government funding must be used by the student. Only additional hours needed for study will be funded by the College.
- childcare will only be paid for days when you are attending College or a mandatory work placement.
- students on full-time courses will be a priority for childcare funding.
- childcare places will be subject to a contract between College/student/nursery.
- childcare payments are made subject to students reaching 87% online and class attendance on a monthly basis.
All childcare applicants approved for funding will be required to sign our Terms & Conditions and MUST inform the College immediately should they stop attending lessons for any reason.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to put your name on the childcare waiting list. You MUST speak to a member of the Student Advice or Learner Services team before you enrol on a course.